Wednesday, May 20, 2009

You can enjoy.

As is the usual case on this blog, my photos are backwards and inside out.  Last weekend it rained constantly, ranging from cats and dogs to mist.  Neither was very good for being outdoors, unless it is in a giant rose garden!  
...Which is just where we went, in the afternoon on sunday, AFTER the pottery class.  

I am  holding my new charge, a tiny pine bonsai, which now sits in our already foliage-populated windowsill.  Mandy said i could get it, because she has like a million plants, and i'm allowed one now.  So i'm happy.  But i should add that i have already adopted a different, tiny broadleaf plant, and i look after it.   It is the plant that graces our toilet room.  It is quite a miracle plant, because it thrives, sitting all day and all night in a toilet room, getting just the crumbs from shadows' tables for sunlight, and the odd bit of electric light.  I do check on it daily, and water it every so often.  The only reason i can think of for its healthy condition is my fond thoughts toward it.  Do plants sense these things?  
There's a beautiful flower!  ...and the rose isn't bad either.  
Yes, here we are at the pottery class.  It was lucky for us that we have good students who don't mind driving us around in the rain the odd time, and arranging these experiences for us.  These women are mother and daughter.  I used to teach the daughter, Yuu, and Mandy teaches the mother, Atsuko.  It was funny in class, because i'd say, "how are you, Yuu?", and laugh awkwardly a little each time. 
Mandy and i made some good things, but it wasn't what we expected.  We thought it was going to be a lesson on the electric wheel, and then throwing some pots.  I think my dear wife misses her wheel-work, and i was hoping it would give her a good dose to carry her through until we got back home.  But she had to do with just a whiff of her craft, which was maybe worse than nothing.  I don't know.  But i'm pretty sure we had fun.  Mandy made a big fat mug, a candle holder, and a bowl.  I made two soba sauce bowls and a couple of tiny sake cups.  I liked the combination of hand building and the spinning table-top wheel action.  It ends up nice and round, but you also get a little roughness around the edges, and you can see that it's built by fingers.  
I drooled a little in my euphoria.

No comments: